Saturday, March 10, 2012

OPRAH! Your OWN Show!

Oprah's Search For The Next TV Star - Your OWN Show
I was 1 of  more than 15,000 people who auditioned for my OWN show.

I wasn't selected. Was I disappointed. Sure.
Was I disappointed that the perception of what I thought OWN was searching for (..an unknown) wasn't what was selected? Absolutely.

Did I mention that Mark Burnett, reality producer extraordinaire (Survivor, The Voice, Shark Tank), was working with Ms. Winfrey on this and several other OWN shows???  I didn't realize at the time that I was actually auditioning for a reality TV show, nor was there any guarantee that the 'winner' would actually receive their 'OWN' show.

Ten (10) contestants were chosen from 'obscurity', to compete for the opportunity to host their OWN show.  Obscure? Hmmmm...  Maybe 4 of the 10 contestants could be considered 'obscure'.  One contestant was already a TV news reporter, the husband of another contestant is an actor who has appeared on the big screen along side the likes of Will Ferrell, Seth Rogen, and Sigourney Weaver, another contestant had previously been on the Martha Stewart show and another had already completed a pilot for her own show prior to learning of Oprah's OWN Show.

Regardless of the 'reality', or lack thereof, associated with the OWN Show experience, I am truly grateful that I chose to participate.  My video is an authentic and true representation of Dawn Newton. It's true, I would love to add video to the audio of what I do so that the listener/viewer can meet the incredible people I get to talk to each week. I love to have fun, to push those 'proverbial' human buttons, to challenge perceptions, to educate, to inspire and empower. Everyone has a story to tell, a celebration to share and wisdom from which we can all grow...and I feel darn lucky that I get to bring these people to the airwaves!

A big Thank You is owed to my friends, Shannon Bex, MTV's Making the Band, Danity Kane, and Kyle Will, Owner/Personal Trainer of WRP Training Studio who were willing participants as my 'guests' in the video.  Shannon is a frequent guest on my radio show, Open Air, and Kyle is a regular on Open Air with his health & fitness segments...so...what you see on the video is the 'reality' of what you hear on my weekly radio show, Open Air w/ Dawn Newton each Wednesday at 5:00pm on 88.9fm KPOV.

I'm so proud of the video and I'm so proud of me for filming, editing (2hrs of video down to 2.31min), producing and submitting the finished product. The support, encouragement and willingness of both Shannon and Kyle to participate in my OWN audition video was humbling.  Not only was I putting myself 'out there' for the world to see (dang scary!!!) but Shannon and Kyle were willing to put themselves 'out there' too...in support of me.

Wanna see my video?  Here it is... Dawn's OWN Audition Video

No comments:

Post a Comment